It is most certainly the most famous religious complex of Franciacorta.
Its foundation dates back to 1090 on commission of the Benedictine Cluniacs and , in fact, forms part of the European Cluniac itinerary. Passed by the Olivetans in 1446 it was reconstructed between 1450 and 1534 when it became an Abbey with Renaissance imprint.Very important Brescian painters of the era such as Gambara, Romanino, Moretto, Marone and Cossali contributed to its transformation. The Napoleonic laws suppressed the works in 1797, but in 1969 upon the will of the Brescian Pope Paolo VI a great work of restoration was started with the return of the Olivetans.
The church dates back to 1480-90. The inside, with a single aisle, shows a rich 18th century decoration. It has an important oil painting by Moretto from 1545 and beautiful wooden inlay work on the choir stalls, carried out in 1480 by Cristoforo Rocchi. Among the frescos of major importance, the Crucifixion on the wall at the back of the refectory, of the school of Foppa and the amphitheater frescoed by Gambara (XVI century). The frescos of Romanino, are found in the refectory of the guestrooms.
There are three cloisters of various widths and styles, the small one, the oldest one, in its simplicity almost rustic, dates back to the first half of the XV century with Gothic elements. The big cloister (1480-90) has an arch and an arcade majolica decorations.
Credits: the_field('crediti'); ?> endif; ?>