Church of San Giorgio


Listen to the podcast

The Church of San Giorgio, the current parish church of Capriolo, is located in the center of the town. The beginning of the construction dates back to the fifteenth century. Over the following centuries the building underwent various restoration interventions, the first part was finished at the end of the seventeenth century; the last structural works date back to the beginning of the 1900s with the reconstruction of the presbytery and the choir, the construction of a new bay to enlarge the existing three, the construction of the transept and the central dome, the construction of the sacristy and the completion of the internal decorative apparatus. The main facade is divided into two registers; the portal in Sarnico stone and the framed window stand out. The interior has three naves separated by quadrangular columns, with a transept and central dome. Next to the church there are the sacristy, the bell tower and other service rooms. Worthy of note are the canvas of the Risen Christ by Romanino, the altarpiece of the main altar depicting San Giorgio, created by Ludovico Gallina in 1782 and an organ from 1800 created by the Serassi family, positioned on the left side of the presbytery.

Credits: La Via del Romanino

Iniziativa realizzata nell’ambito del bando Wonderfood & Wine di Regione Lombardia e Unioncamere Lombardia per la promozione di Sapore inLOMBARDIA

©Visit Lake Iseo. All rights reserved

Privacy Policy | Cookie PolicyPrivacy preferences • Progettato e sviluppato da Linoolmostudio Marketing Turistico

Accessibility Tools

  • Content scaling 100%
  • Font size 100%
  • Line height 100%
  • Letter spacing 100%