Listen to the podcast
The first parish church of Clusane, the Chiesa Vecchia, dedicated to Saints Gervasio and Protasio, already existed when in 1093 it was donated by the owners, the Brusati family, lords of Sovere, to the Cluniac order; the abbot of Cluny sent two monks who founded a priory there. Typical medieval church with a single nave, it was enlarged with three naves in the 16th and 17th centuries.
The gabled facade is overall unadorned. The 1717 portal is in Sarnico stone with pilasters and simple ornaments. Elegant and slender is the bell tower with still functioning belfry. The interior contains discreet frescoes and eighteenth-century style stuccos. From the church square you can go down to the lake shore and to the remains of the Roman baths. The first historical nucleus of Clusane was formed on the hill around the church and the Cluniac monastery.
With the construction of the new parish church of Cristo Re between 1932 and 1935, the modern urban development of Clusane began and, concurrently, also the restaurant business and the typical dish of the “Baked tench with polenta” acquired fame.
Recently, the Old Church has been adapted as a hall for community meetings: events, conferences, concerts, and theatre performances.