A remarkable example of contemporary religious architecture, the church of Sant’Antonio abate (St. Anthony Abbot) of Corti replaces the ancient parish church on the hill. Sant’Antonio abate of Corti was separated from the church of Sant’Ambrogio (St. Ambrose) of Qualino and became a parish church by decree of May 17, 1507. The ancient church was located in the upper part of the village, on the current via Sant’Antonio (St. Anthony street). It was rebuilt in 1848 by Giuseppe Pellini, but from the middle of the 20th Century proved too small to accommodate a community witnessing considerable demographic expansion. In 1960 the architect Luigi Cottinelli was commissioned to build a new church in the lower part of the village, within the new residential centre which was being built along Via Nazionale (Nazionale street).
Work began in 1971 and ended in 1973. The building was constructed entirely of plain reinforced concrete. Rectangular in shape, it presents a framework of paired pilasters that support prefabricated concrete panels, according to a modular design. The roof is also built as a modular unit with prestressed beams.
The interior is designed in accordance with new Liturgy guideline issued by the Vatican Council II. The unified space of the single-nave church is illuminated by precious polychrome stained-glass windows decorated with figures created by the sculptress Franca Ghitti from the Val Camonica (Camonica valley). The Seven days of creation are depicted on the left side and the Seven plagues of the Apocalypse on the right side. On the long side you can find the three arches of the sanctuary, which has the high altar in the centre, the baptismal font on the left and the tabernacle on the right. On the back wall there is a window measuring 90 square meters, overlooking a charming garden.
Six icons are visible on the front and form a large iconostasis, made by Paola and Davide La Fede in 2006: in the centre Christ Pantocrator, to the left the Nativity, the Baptism of Christ and the Crucifixion; to right the Resurrection, the Apparition on Lake Tiberias and the Pentecost.
For more information:
LA FEDE P., LA FEDE D., LAZZARONI G., Icone sulla vita di Gesù Cristo per la nuova evangelizzazione, Milano 2006.
CAMPAGNONI M.A., Terra di confine. Costa Volpino, Bergamo 2011, pp. 382-390.
Cover photo credits:Linoolmostudio