Convent of the Annunciation
The Convent of the Annunciation is located in a privileged position on the eastern slopes of Monte Orfano in the municipality of Rovato.
In 1449 two friars of the Servants of Mary’s congregation obtained land to build a convent and a church, which was completed in 1503. The building soon became a destination for pilgrimages, particularly on the occasion of the great feasts dedicated to the Madonna, until 1772, when it was suppressed. Only in 1963, again by the Servants of Mary, a religious community was reconstituted within it.
The Convent houses works of great artistic importance, including an Annunciation by Romanino (1485-1566), and is characterised by a cloister with perfect geometry. The simple lines of the columns and arches frame the central well adorned with a refined wrought iron decoration.
There is also the Bellavista vineyard and the Vittorio and Mirella Moretti Foundation is located in the Convent. Guided tours are organized on request. Click here to find out more.
The church can be visited every day. For further information about holy masses please consult the website.
Photo Merighi Province of Brescia Archive